We train from 10:00 am every Sunday during the season at Wrights Meadow unless we are engaged in inter-club matches when timings and venues vary – we will run training sessions at home most weeks for those players not selected for away matches. This season marks the players` entry into the world of 13-man rugby – 6 forwards & a full set of backs , tactical and goal-kicking, and proper kick-offs ! When training we will start at 10:00 am sharp with a 15 minute fitness session, moving into skills coaching, backs and forwards coaching and game play. Leighton Buzzard RFC kit is required for inter-club matches but an additional jersey or training top will be necessary for training days. Mouthguard, boots and attitude are also essential!
Introduced at this age:
- 6 man fully contested scrum.
- Sin Bin 5 minutes.
- Scrum half may pass or run with the ball.
|Max Players||13 a side|
|Max Pitch Size||90m x 60m|
|Max minutes each half||25|
|Maximum minutes of match play per day||80 minutes|
|Extra Time Permitted||No|
|Recommended training time duration||120 minutes|
|Match stopped if:||points difference >50|
|Start / Restart||Drop kick must travel at least 10m|
|Scrum||6 trained and willing. Contest strike and push. No number 8 pickup|
|Lineout||No, restart with a free pass|
|Offside Distance||Hindmost foot at tackle, ruck and Maul. 5m from scrum. 10m from free kick. 10m from free pass.|
|Fend Off||Yes – below armpit|
|Kicking from Hand||Yes. incl. ‘Fly hack’|
|Kicking at Goal||No|
|Drop Goal||Not Permitted|
|Yellow Card / Sin Bin||5 minutes|
Age Specific Notes:
- No.8 cannot pick up from scrum
Competition formats allowed:
- Friendly Fixture – Competitive style playing opportunity for two teams, often as part of a club or school/college block fixture, where focus is on maximising all your player’s involvement, development and enjoyment.
- Triangular – Competitive style playing opportunity for three teams where equal player participation is the emphasis. Focus is on maximising all your player’s involvement, development and enjoyment rather than the score.
- Festival – Competitive round-robin playing opportunity where equal team and player participation is the emphasis. Scores may be recorded but winning doesn’t affect your ongoing participation as every team plays the same appropriate number of matches.
- Waterfall Tournament – Competitive playing programme where equal participation/progression is the emphasis. The outcome of your pool games are recorded to enable every team to advance to later rounds for an equal number of matches against similar level teams.